We all know that exercise is good for us, but sometimes it can be a real downer too. It can be discouraging when you don’t see or feel results. But the key to exercise is consistency. Here is some advice when you feel like giving up.
- Put the scale away – Weighing yourself every day could actually make it harder to lose weight. When you put it away, you are able to focus on the positive things you are doing to reach your goal. Your weight can fluctuate a little every day, even if you haven’t changed your routine. Use the scale weekly to help you stay on track.
- Don’t push yourself too hard – It’s easy to keep going when you’re feeling good. But it can also lead to fatigue and injury. This brings out the negative emotions, which makes staying motivated nearly impossible. Give yourself time to rest properly.
- Practice fitness smarts in the kitchen – You can’t expect your body to change for the better if you’re feeding it the wrong kind of food. A balanced diet with fruit, veggies, dairy, carbs, protein, and so on is essential to providing fuel for your body. Ditch the processed foods and stick with lean meats, fresh produce and high-quality dairy products.
- Don’t forget to have fun – Developing a habit you will stick with will make your success rate much higher. Forget the gym and head outside. Go for a hike or a bike ride. See what nature has to offer while you help your body become healthier.
- Quit tracking every single calorie – Any time you restrict yourself, you create a monster. Taking something away cold turkey invokes negative feelings which can lead to binging. Keeping a food journal is a great way to see what you’re eating every day, but keep it simple.
Being healthy is something that takes time and effort. It won’t happen overnight, but it will eventually happen if you keep working at it. Hopefully these tips will help keep you motivated to keep working hard.